Diary of An Unrepentant Sex Addict

Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Addict Gets a Little Misty

I have heard what may be, to me, the most romantic song ever. It's called "Such Great Heights", and it's on the soundtrack to Garden State. There, it's performed by Iron and Wine, but the lyrics I found online attribute it to "The Postal Service", whom I've never heard (or heard of).

I am thinking it's a sign that the freckles
In our eyes are mirror images and when
We kiss they're perfectly aligned
And I have to speculate that God himself
Did make us into corresponding shapes like
Puzzle pieces from the clay
True, it may seem like a stretch, but
Its thoughts like this that catch my troubled
Head when you're away when I am missing you to death
When you are out there on the road for
Several weeks of shows and when you scan
The radio, I hope this song will guide you home

They will see us waving from such great
Heights, 'come down now,' they'll say
But everything looks perfect from far away,
'come down now,' but we'll stay...

I tried my best to leave this all on your
Machine but the persistent beat it sounded
Thin upon listening
That frankly will not fly. you will hear
The shrillest highs and lowest lows with
The windows down when this is guiding you home

If you'll excuse me for a moment, please. Just talk amongst yourselves...

D

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Sweetie, it's called "Such Great Heights." The Postal Service originally recorded the song- their version is better known, it's a sort of techno-lite number, and appeared in the promos for ABC's "Grey's Anatomy." Iron and Wine covered it, and that version is currently appearing in an M&M's commercial.

    I've found that people always prefer the version they heard first, because it sets in their mind the tone of the song and then the other version always screws them up a bit.

    But you're right, it's a lovely song. Both versions are in iTunes if you're interested in hearing the other version.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 20, 2005 7:55:00 PM  

  • Oops! And I even had the soundtrack CD right in front of me when I typed that. I'll correct it. I'll look up the original, but a lot of what makes it seem to romantic to me is the simplicity of the acoustic arrangement.

    By Blogger Dausa, at Monday, August 22, 2005 12:17:00 AM  

  • Hmm... I just grabbed the original version. It's a good-enough song, but I don't think I would have found it as grabbing as the Iron & Wine version. The techno beat makes it a completely different song-- not really what I would consider a "romantic" song. But that could just be because I heard the one version first, like you say.

    By Blogger Dausa, at Tuesday, August 23, 2005 4:49:00 PM  

  • I'm a big emo and Postal Service fan, and although I heard their version first, I do appreciate the Iron and Wine version. I listen to both and only have a preference when I'm in a certain mood.

    By Blogger stak, at Sunday, August 28, 2005 1:23:00 PM  

  • I favor the Iron & Wine version myself, partially because I heard it in Garden State and that movie meant so much to me, but I've come to appreciate the original as well.

    It's like, I&W's version is sort of wistful and sad, and The Postal Service is more... optimistic, but still poignant.

    And I'm pissed that there are going to be people who forever think of the I&W version as "that M&M song."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:54:00 PM  

  • Thanks forr the post

    By Anonymous Kylie, at Sunday, April 03, 2022 12:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home